Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

physical geography but this occurs at the eastern termination of the chain, where the volcanoes, which are the marked feature of Java, Bali, Lombock, Sumbawa, and Flores

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

After two of the combs had been let down, the bees became rather numerous below, flying about wildly and stinging viciously. Several got about me, and I was soon stung, and had to run away, beating them off with my net and capturing them for specimens. Several of them followed me for at least half a mile, getting into my hair and persecuting me most pertinaciously, so that I was more astonished than ever at the immunity of the natives. I am inclined to think that slow and deliberate motion, and no attempt at escape, are perhaps the best safeguards.
A bee settling on a passive native probably behaves as it would on a tree or other inanimate substance, which it does not attempt to sting. Still they must often suffer, but they are used to the pain, tiffany outlet and learn to bear it impassively, as without doing so no man could be a beehunter. If we look Tiffany and co outlet at a map of the Archipelago, nothing seems more tiffany and co unlikely than that the closely-connected chain of islands from Java to Timor should differ materially in their natural productions. There are, it is true, certain differences of climate and of physical geography, but these do not correspond with the division the naturalist is obliged to make.
Between the two ends of the chain there is a great contrast of climate, the west being exceedingly moist, and having only a short and irregular tiffany outlet dry season the east being as dry and parched up, and having but a short wet season. This change, however, occurs about the Marc Jacobs middle of Java, the eastern portion of that Marc jacobs outlet island having as strongly-marked seasons as Lombock and Timor. There is also a difference in physical geography but this occurs at the eastern termination of the chain, where the volcanoes, which are the marked feature of Java, Bali, Lombock, Sumbawa, and Flores, turn northward through Gunong Api to Bands, leaving Timor with only one volcanic peak near its centre, while the main portion of the island consists of old sedimentary rocks.

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum